Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Dreaming of Cactus

I have never quite experienced anything such as a Moldovan winter. Being from Phoenix, Arizona this doesn't come as much of a surprise, but this being said, I never thought I would miss the sight of a cactus or a dry sandy mountain in all my life. The air here sinks right into your bones and into your lungs. As soon as you step outside you find yourself catching your breathe and shielding your face from the stinging air. And your 5 layers of clothing quickly dissolve and you are left feeling like you are wearing nothing. The last three days it has been between -20 and -30 degrees Celsius which in Fahrenheit translates to from a range of -4 degrees to about -22 degrees Fahrenheit. And for a native Arizonan, that translates into misery. In my naivety, I thought that I had seen the worst of what Moldova had to offer in terms of winter weather and laughed at the people who warned me that I might suffer a little bit during these months. Part of this was due to the fact that I thought that December would be the coldest month of the year (again, this is my Phoenician experience speaking). Little did I know that in fact January and February are the coldest months. Oh, but I've caught on quick. It's amazing how fast the winter weather makes you dream and long for the hot summer days; even those nights when the lack of breeze leaves the air stale and stiff. But even amongst all the hardships that the winter might bring, it's amazing how the beauty of it all is juxtaposed right along the unforgiving aspects. For example, these last few days when it's been the absolute coldest, the sun has shone so bright and caused the snow to almost glitter all around you. If you can stand to take a second to stand still (just a second though) and hear how still and quiet everything is around you, winter can also give you an amazing sense of peace and calm. Everything and everyone is stripped down to the bare essentials, and staying warm becomes the main priority for man and animal alike. A true equality of all living beings is reached. So as I am laying underneath a sleeping bag and three sheets trying to become motivated to do work, even though the blood in my veins feels like it has turned into slush and causes every movement to require more time and even more effort, I am trying to reflect and focus on how this experience is not only teaching me to toughen up a bit but also teaching me how even the most harshest of circumstances can provide opportunities to see and experience amazing beauty. Hope this message finds everyone thinking warm thoughts and even warmer feet :)

No comments:

Post a Comment