Monday, October 19, 2009

Soba Time

Hello everyone! So autumn is definitely here and for me it actually feels like winter! Lately during the day it has been around 10 -12 degrees Celsius which is around 50 degrees Fahrenheit. At night it gets around 1 -2 degrees Celsius, which is around 30 degrees Fahrenheit. My host mother has started to heat our soba during the night which makes our small house quite warm. A soba is like fire that they heat that travels through the walls of the house. But since I'm a total wimp when it comes to the cold, I'm usually wearing about three layers of winter clothes, and I sleep with my sleeping bag plus my comforter :)

School is going much smoother. It definitely still holds its challenges, especially since the first rounds of tests are taking place. One of my challenges here will be "encouraging" my students not to cheat during tests and on their homework assignments. It is a concept that is new for them and as a teacher I'm learning that a little tough love and perseverance can go a long way. However, this will be a challenge for me and my students probably for the whole two years that I'm here.

Since I'm getting more comfortable here, I'm starting to think about my secondary projects; those projects I do outside/after school. I've been asked to do an English Club and I've already corresponded with my best friend back home, who is also a teacher, about doing a pen-pal program. Right now it is just a matter of summing up more ideas and more importantly, courage, to start these additional projects. The great thing though about Moldova is that most are eager to participate - especially those students who might be living alone without parents. One that subject, a colleague of mine here in Moldova, who works with an NGO on social issues, sent us a little video about the issue of children who's parents are working abroad. This is a huge issue here in Moldova, one that affects all the volunteers and their communities. I attached the link below for anyone who wants to check it out.

Again, thanks for all the well-wishes and questions about what school materials are needed in my village! Till next time ~

http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pvc6X7cFPRo

No comments:

Post a Comment